Thank you for wearing pants

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Harriet and Me


As the Senate debates the timetable for Harriet Miers' confirmation hearings, there's still a lot of talk among the media's newly anointed "chattering class" about her gushing notes to Mr. Bush.

They call them "cheerful, almost fawning" and have led several people to claim this appointment is not because of her qualifications but because of her obsequious worship of the President over the years.

I say that's simply not true. Despite the "pitbull in size 6 shoes" characterization, she's just a really nice lady -- the kind of person who will correct you when you call a warm, cozy manufactured home a "trailer."

And those notes? Those weren't special to George W. Bush. She did the same for everyone... and I mean everyone, including me.

A few months into my SND presidency, I enjoyed the unexpected e-mail, "You are the best president ever -- deserving of great respect."

And I cherish the 2003 handwritten note that mentioned my daughters: "Hopefully Hannah and Claire recognize that their father is 'cool' -- as the rest of us do. All I hear is how great you are doing. ... Keep up the good work. Los Angeles is blessed!"

I'm sure I disappointed her in May 1996 when I was unable to attend a ceremony honoring her. But the invite sure was sweet: "I am respectful of your great many time commitments and I realize you receive many, many requests... I would be very pleased if you are able to participate but either way I feel honored even to be able to extend this invitation to such an extraordinary person."

So, like Harry Reid, who helped make all this happen, I can't wait for the confirmation hearings. A little etiquette and old-fashioned manners will be great for the court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home